Part five of trip North and warmth

Cannonvale near Airlie Beach was to be our next destination to visit Mavis’s Nephew Russel, partner Jannine and gorgeous Jayden their little boy that has a red cordial intravenous drip to maintain his buzz saw tear lifestyle.

We arrived at Cannonvale on Friday the third of August and set up camp behind their house for a great two day stay,which included a visit to the markets at Airlie Beach and a lot of site seeing.

Sunday we headed off for an overnight at the Funny Dunny camp which turned into two nights. This is a great stop over and pretty quiet. There were a couple of camps there that looked pretty permanent. We met a couple of lovely people that were in the van next to ours. They come from Esk and I think we talked them into going to the Millmerran camp oven festival this year,they had never been even though they live so close to the venue.

They also bought a wind break off Mavis and put in an order for two more in specific foot ball colours.


Louie the next door neighbour was an amateur Astronomer and he had a 6” telescope set up every night. He showed us Saturn. It was incredible you could see the planet and the rings very clearly. Apparently he had six telescopes the biggest was 12”, but as he said, he would have to leave the wife at home to be able to carry it in the car.

Monday the sixth we toured Ayr, Home Hill and went out to a great van park at Groper Creek. This park has to be the ideal fishing destination with its own boat ramp into the most fish laden water that you can imagine.

We left Funny Dunny Park on Tuesday and checked in to the Magnetic Gateway Caravan Park that Grandson Lachlan had booked us into. Lachlan is posted in Townsville with the Army. It was great to see him and he stayed with us for a home cooked meal at the van. The view of the highway was superb grin.

Wednesday was a tad boring with washing to be done. We squeezed in a run out to the Burdekin Dam, It was a fairly long hall for a day trip but we wanted to see if it was suitable to camp there and do some fishing. Unfortunately the camping is a couple of kilometres from the water so the kayak would have to be set up then re packed on to the roof of the car every day. Decision was made to not go there to camp. The view was spectacular to say the least. The water flowing over the spill way looked like snow. 




We managed to collect a kangaroo dead centre of the bull bar at 100kmph on the way back to Townsville. It was a first for us. We went back to make sure that the roo was dead and it was. A quick look at the front of the car did not show any damage. We returned back to the van and that night Lachlan took us out to dinner on the Strand. Food was ok but service, they totally forgot us which did not go down too well.

Thursday we did the retail therapy thing then went to the Reef HQ Aquarium in town. This place is not to be missed if you go to Townsville it is awesome. Massive variety of fish and a turtle hospital that we did the tour


After the Aquarium visit we went back to the van park and I washed the car. A close look at the front of the car revealed that the grill was smashed but still in tact thanks to the encounter with the roo. Never mind just another scar on the car to be fixed when we return.

Saturday was reserved for a trip to Magnetic Island. We left the booking of the ferry, car and accommodation to Lachlan our Grandson.  Lachlan picked us up from the van park Saturday morning and took us to the ferry, the three of us had a great run over to the Island.

Off the ferry and we wandered over to the car hire place to pick up the wheels to be used for today and tomorrow.IMG_9518IMG_9433

Mavis and I had packed an overnight bag with change of clothes and toiletries bags,thinking that we would be in a motel. Wrong. Backpackers was the go Confused smile . Nice bungalow with a double mattress on the floor and a bar fridge. Should have bought towels and a few more civilised niceties. Mavis was heard mumbling about not letting Grandchildren make accommodation bookings for us in future Winking smile


After dumping our gear we started the tour of the Island. Beautiful place to say the least. Great beaches and views to be had, loved it.




Mavis had a nostalgia trip as she had been there about 100 years ago when she was a young girl and seeing familiar landmarks was a buzz for her.


A beautiful place for sure. Saturday night we spent in the bar eating great pizza and having more than a few cleansing ales wines and cheap spirits.

Coffee was taken at Horseshoe Beach where we saw a young girl and her dog parading up and down the foot path.


You had to be there to appreciate it. She would tell the dog to hang on and pull the skate board over the gutter and the dog would lean back as he held on over the drop, it was a hoot.

Sunday was more touring before the ferry ride back to Townsville. This touring included the “Fort walk”. An easy stroll as stated by the Info centre, yea right. It took us about an hour and a half to return after negotiating at least 100,000 steps Sarcastic smile. We did get to see a couple of Koala’s that the walk is famous for and the views were spectacular at the top and we did survive (Just).

All up we spent nearly 10 day’s in Townsville with Lachlan and it was great. Managed to change the oil in the tug and Mavis bought a heap of fabric and a sewing machine (to cart in the van) to make more wind breaks, they are turning out to be very popular.

Left Townsville on Wednesday the 15th of August  heading to elsewhere.

More soon!

3 thoughts on “Part five of trip North and warmth

  1. Great report. Shame about the roo, but glad everything’s okay. I look forward to the next post!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *